I checked out All the Weigh for today’s FMM, since I’ve been a total slacker and haven’t done it lately. I also decided to catch up on a few from the last few weeks…
TODAY – “In the Kitchen”
1. How often do you cook at home?
Define “cook.” I generally eat dinner at home, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it cooking, since it mostly involves either a sandwich or something out of a box.
2. Do you eat more fresh produce, frozen or canned produce?
Alternate between fresh and frozen, although I probably need more produce in my life.
3. What are a few unusual staples that can always be found in your kitchen?
Probably ramen noodles. Also, whipped cream (I like it in my coffee, it’s like latte foam without being such a pain in the ass.)
4. Look in your fridge, then tell us about the healthiest thing in there.
Salad greens (half-and-half spring mix and spinach, although it’s probably on its last legs).
5. Now share the most unhealthy thing in it.
6. Do you eat leftovers?
Not if I can help it. I don’t like used food. I make some exceptions, for things like chili, spaghetti, and chicken & dumplings, but most stuff does not improve with age.
7. Do you use coupons at the supermarket?
Not unless they are stuck to something I’m buying. I should probably use them more, but ugh. I try to stock up on things that are on sale, though.
8. How often do you try new recipes?
Not very often, because I don’t really cook. Lando and I are on different schedules during the week, and I am hungry long before he gets home. However, Hailey has posted a few things lately that I might try, if I ever get off my ass.
9. Do you make grocery lists? Do you stick to them?
Yes, I make them, because otherwise I forget things like toilet paper and light bulbs. Food-wise, I sometimes have a general idea, but I don’t make a specific list most of the time.
10. If you could buy one food item that would magically be calorie-free, which item would you choose?
Hershey bars WITHOUT NUTS.
FROM JULY 30 – “Goals & More”
1. Brag about some of your daily, healthy habits.
Water. I drink it. Also, I stay out of the sun.
2. Do you track your daily food intake? If so, how?
No. I pretty much have a handle on how much crap I eat. My new job is awesome, but it’s full of snacks and a co-worker who has made it her mission to feed the office with things like brisket and homemade ice cream.
3. What do you want to change most about your daily routine?
I’d like to get back into exercising again. Also, I’d like to quit hitting the snooze button. Seriously, I have actually been getting sleep lately, but I still have no desire to get up in the morning. I *know* I’m happier when I have some time to drink coffee and surf the net/play a game/put on actual makeup, but my body says “five more minutes.”
4. How often do you exercise?
I exercise my right of free speech!
…but that’s probably not what you meant. I’d have to go with “never,” except for things like laundry (I have to take stuff to the laundromat) and shopping.
5. How do you stay on track when you’re on the go?
I shouldn’t be answering these questions, because I have no desire to ever go on a diet again. All that happens is that I get hungry and cranky and end up eating the same shit I already eat, plus a side of guilt. I don’t think I’ll ever be thin, and I don’t really care. I would, however, like to feel stronger and healthier. See above re: exercise. My body felt good when I was working out, but my brain was not in the right place…I kept beating myself up because I wasn’t into starvation and/or semi-binging. I would like to eat more vegetables. I need to go to the grocery store and buy some food to make at work.
6. What’s one excuse you use that prevents you from reaching your goals?
I just pretend I don’t have them. It’s much easier that way.
7. What scares your most about your journey?
Admitting that I give a shit.
8. What do you think will change most when you reach your goal? (If you have reached it, what’s different?)
If I could get to a place where I felt capable of setting realistic goals and achieving them, that would be good. I’m not so good with goal-setting.
9. What motivates you to reach your goals?
I’d like to be able to get on Facebook and not feel like a miserable failure.
10. Share a few of your goals.
- Exercise, particularly core strengthening, in hopes of never ever having to shove another needle in my lower back.
- Stop living paycheck to paycheck.
- Own a piece of furniture that isn’t secondhand and does not come in a box.
- Buy a home. One with lots of built-in bookcases and a small, small yard. (I would be fine with no yard, except that usually means apartment-type dwellings, and I’m tired of those, too. I would be okay with a yard if I had enough money to pay someone to take care of it.)
- Better meal planning and eating…not so much food in a box.
- Have this one:
Get along with these two:
At least enough that we don’t have to separate them and she doesn’t pee on something or hide in the back of the closet if they’re around.
AUGUST 6 – “A Little More Personal”
1. Are you a morning person?
Not even remotely. I never have been. My mother bought me an alarm clock at age 4 or 5 because every morning when she woke me up for school I told her I hated her. I was the kid who continually got busted with a flashlight reading under the covers. It takes me months to get into a “work” schedule of going to bed at midnight-ish and getting up in the mornings and a matter of days to go back to staying up till 5 and getting up at noon.
2. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
More of an introvert.
3. Are you addicted to anything? If so, what?
Chocolate. Nicotine. Eyeliner.
4. How many times have you been in love?
Twice, I think, if we’re going with actual love and not just infatuation and/or unhealthy drama-filled bullshit.
5. What is your position on politics?
Hmm, let’s see. I think we should have an equal rights amendment. I think GLBT folks should have the same rights as straight people. I think that drugs should be legal. I think that we should have either nationalized healthcare or some more regulations on health insurance and/or medical providers, because it’s a bunch of bullshit that you go to the emergency room for a sprained ankle and get separate bills from the hospital, the doctor, and the radiologist (and add even more doctors if you have any sort of surgery, even outpatient surgery). I think that there should be a flat rate income tax that every person and/or legal entity has to pay, no exceptions, no loopholes, no discounts. I think that there should be less red tape if you truly need government assistance, but that there should be real assistance available for job training, education, daycare, birth control… Abortion should be legal, because it’s not any of anyone else’s business. The minimum wage should be something that people can actually live on without assistance. People should spend less time worrying about what everyone else is doing and more time focusing on fixing their own fucked up shit.
6. Are you religious?
No. I grew disillusioned with organized religion at a young age and I still think it’s bullshit. You shouldn’t need some sort of story to tell you to be a nice person and not an asshole. You shouldn’t need a commandment to tell you that killing people and/or taking their shit is bad.
7. Would you prefer backpacking or a luxury hotel?
Hotel. The only way I can stand camping is if it’s at a music festival and I’m really high. Otherwise, I would prefer air conditioning and a shower.
8. Do you have/want pets?
3 cats, named Miles, Zooey, and Amelia. Miles is about 2 or 2 ½ and the other two are around a year younger. We lost all three of our older cats last year, which was brutal. I had not really intended to replace them so soon, but it leaves such a hole, and it’s impossible to be quite so sad when you have baby ones being obnoxious and cute. I mean, Miles adopted Zooey. When she was little and being a tool, he picked her up with his mouth and carried her around. But they were so funny playing together, because he’s a pretty mellow cat and she’s an asshole. A CUTE asshole, but an asshole.
9. Are you a sports fan?
No. I especially hate listening to sports announcers.
10. How often do you brush your teeth?
Twice a day.
11. Do you have tattoos and/or piercings?
I think I’m down to one hole in each ear (I had three at one point, but the older I get, the more sensitive I get to metal, so I’m down to one and even then I don’t wear earrings much). I had an upper ear cartilage piercing, but the earring fell out without me noticing and it grew back over…I’ll probably get that one re-done soon. I also got a nostril piercing in April, and I love it. No tattoos yet, but I will probably get one of those soon too. My mid-life crisis, let me show you it.
12. What’s your favorite clothing brand?
I kind of hate them all…they all have their issues. Kiyonna’s stuff is well made, but it’s a little pricey for me sometimes, and some of it is a little more boobtacular than I would like. LB is ok if it’s on sale. I have a lot of shit from Old Navy, but I would break up with them if I could find any other jeans that fit like theirs. I’ve bought a lot of dresses at Target lately, and the Target ones are my current faves (was going to post links, but now I can’t find them on the site). I also like the Apt. 9 shirts from Kohl’s. I buy cheap t-shirts and lounging around shorts at Walmart. Most of my “foundation garments” are from Catherine’s, and they also have good pajama pants sometimes (they have pockets and they hold up well).
13. Should a man open doors for a woman?
Whoever gets to the door first should hold it open for the next person. I don’t think it needs to be a big deal.
14. Which season is your favorite?
Fall – I love that first day it’s cool enough to wear a sweater after a summer of 100 degrees plus every day for months. Really, though, I’m ok with spring and winter (except for ice storms. I hate ice storms. Mostly because I usually work for asshats who don’t care if you wreck your car, you will come to work). I really wish summer would just go fuck itself. I sunburn, I get hot and sweaty and heat-rashy and itchy and I just want to crawl in a dark, air-conditioned hole and not come out until it’s below 75.
15. Would you rather eat less or workout more?
Work out more, if I have to choose. I like food. Fuck not eating.
16. What’s your idea of romance?
Uhhhh…saying bless you when I sneeze? (Bonus points if you get the reference.)
17. How often do you do things that are outside of your comfort zone?
From time to time, I suppose I push my boundaries a bit. It usually gives me too much anxiety, but I have been known to power through.
18. Christmas or Halloween?
Halloween. Free candy, duh.
19. Would you rather live in the country or the city?
The city, but I could see the appeal of NOT HAVING NEIGHBORS.
20. Share your life philosophy.
Don’t waste time pretending to be someone you’re not to please other people. Be yourself, and treat other people the way you want to be treated.